Monday, August 26, 2013

Sebrina's Hot Roti Stand

Sebrina is ready to serve you.
Since arriving in Grenada, we kept hearing from our cruiser friends that we needed to try a roti.  Roti is  an Indian bread, made from stoneground wholemeal flour, traditionally shaped into a round flat tortilla shape and wrapped around various meats and vegetables to make a meal.  They are consumed in Pakistan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh.  Many of the Caribbean islands have a large Indian population that influences the variety of foods available.  Back in my early Pan Am flying days to India and Singapore, we used to partake in early morning masla dosa's. A dosa is a flat bread stuffed with lightly cooked potatoes, onions, green chili and spices.  A love for Indian food has brought me to many an Indian restaurant wherever I may be.

We never found a convenient stand until we were down in Trinidad.  The Lonely Planet guide mentioned one between our boat yard, Peake's, and Power Boats next door.  So eager to try a new dish I ventured out to the main road and found the stand right on the corner.  Fortunately, it was still early in the lunch hour and after waiting for a number of locals and other cruisers to be served up she still had a variety of offerings but had just finished serving her last Roti. No worries, I ordered a dish someone ordered in front of me, rice & beef with a salad medley for Walter and rice & lamb for me, all for only 20 Trini dollars ($3.25).  I hurried back to the boat and Walter and I savored every yummy bite.

Yummy Rice and Lamb lunch.
Next time, I decided to try a breakfast roti with scrambled eggs, potatoes,  pumpkin, and hot sauce.  That also was a winner, plus I didn't have to cook breakfast. 

By now I was sold on her stand and we chatted each time. I found out she has been in the business for over 12 years and is well known in the community.  She told me she gets up at 3:00 am each morning to get her pots going and opens each day by 6:30 for breakfast fare and then sells out by 2:00 or 3:00 pm. 



I finally timed it right and bought two chicken Roti's, with vegetables, and hot sauce.  Sampling the chicken roti, I have to say I am hooked and will be on the look-out for another stand here in Grenada.

No comments:

Post a Comment